General Use

Council may issue permits for a range of general use commercial or community activities on Public land.  A person must not without the permission of Council, undertake certain activities on Local Government Land including footpaths, streets, road related areas, public land and community reserves.

Dependent on the length of time of requested use, Council may issue a short term permit for use of a road related area or portion of a public reserve.

Activities which require a General Use Permit include but are not limited to:-

  • Club/Association community activities
  • School activities
  • Event parking
  • Triathlons/park-runs
  • Information stands and pop up displays
  • Canoe/paddleboard hire
  • Carnival rides
  • Canvassing/leaflet distribution
  • Display of personal items (for/not for sale)
  • Bee Keeping
  • Fixed marketing signage
  • Casual flower/fruit sales
  • Model aircraft, boats and cars
  • Camping
  • Petrol station pumps                            


Alexandrina Council may charge a fee for use of public land for commercial or community purposes. Fees payable will be in accordance with Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges (as applicable).

Permit applications forms are required to be lodged with Council a minimum of twenty one (21) business days in advance of the activity unless otherwise negotiated with Council.

Fact Sheet

Terms & Conditions

Application Form